Monday, April 21, 2014

Value Your Relationship

Pride goes before destruction,
    and a haughty spirit before a fall.  

                                  Proverbs 16:18

I read a post today that said: Apologizing doesn't always mean you're wrong and the other person is right. It means you value your relationship more than your ego. 

In the quarrels and disagreements we often have with others, it is our pride that is at the root of our attitude. In my experience, I often think to myself, "I am not apologizing! He hurt me!" Silence can be deadly to a relationship. Our anger or hurt can sever a relationship if it goes undealt with. It may seem easier to escape instead of humbling ourselves and apologizing but a fall may soon follow. Even when I am not the initiator of the argument, my attitude and my reaction can be hurtful to the other person. My apology can bring life, soften the heart of my loved one, turn their heart towards God. Just as the forgiveness I have received in Him has drawn me closer, so the power of forgiveness works between two people. When I think about my husband and the times we have been in conflict, I am humbly reminded to value him and our precious relationship, rather than pridefully hold on to whatever anger I am holding onto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment